Thursday, June 22, 2017

Hugo Foods - Rowland Heights, CA


I've been seeing ads for Hugo Foods on my Facebook, and I remembered seeing them at a local fair. I never got a chance to try their food and I figured the time has finally came after they got a store front.


Free Taiwanese sausage from Yelp check-in

Since we were in a food court, the service was limited to the counter area only. The food came out fairly fast and there was a yelp check in for a free small order of Taiwanese sausage. I ordered mushroom rougeng noodles and sliced Taiwanese sausage wrapped with rice sausage, slave girl got popcorn chicken rice plate and two balls soup.



Two balls soup contained a fishball and a meatball in a clear broth. It was very mild with almost no taste. The balls were fine but I forgot to confirm if it was house made or not.


Everything in the popcorn chicken rice plate was good except the popcorn chicken. It was way too sweet for me and there was no other seasoning like spicy powder or whatnot. The basil wasn't crispy fried. Everything else was just fine.


My noodles were ok. It was lacking on taste but the pork was made spot on. I think it needed more garlic flavor and saltiness. For now, I wouldn't order it again.



The sausage wrapped with rice sausage was hard for me to decide if I like it or not. I like the flavor and crushed peanuts, but I hated how little the meat sausages were given to the order. We modified the dish by stuffing the rice sausage with the free sausage for more meat taste. If you don't have yelp check in, I wouldn't suggest to order it because you will gain 500 lbs from the rice sausage carb and missing the Taiwanese sausage entirely.



Overall, everything we ordered were bland. Don't get me wrong, Taiwanese food to me is considered comfort food and I would never turn it down. However, if I have more than one Taiwanese restaurants in the hood, I wouldn't bother with this one again. If you know their signature dish, please share with me for a possible return visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment