Saturday, May 20, 2017

Okipoki - Los Angeles, CA


Work wife 2 told me she wanted sushi but she also refused to go to little Tokyo for lunch due to distance. I passed by Okipoki every morning and thought this would be a great alternative.



The restaurant was spacious and servers were friendly. On top of the poke bowls, they also had sushi burritos to offer. Since we fat and wanted to try everything, we ordered crabulous and the classic sushi burritos, also truffle trouble and father prime poke bowls.



The preparations took some time since they were actually trying to make the bowl pretty, especially with the truffle trouble. It had salmon, mushrooms, avocado, cucumber, pickled shallots, masago, and seasoned with ginger scallion truffle sauce. It was a little bland and lacking on the truffle flavor. I only had a bite so maybe it wasn't a fair statement, but I like the portion of the salmon was given.


Truffle trouble

Father prime had spicy tuna, tamago, cucumber, green onions, avocado, spicy mayo, and covered with furikake. The spicy tuna was seasoned right, but there was way more rice than spicy tuna so the dish was bland and boring with mostly rice as I finished it.

Look at that focus~

Father prime

The classic sushi burrito contained tuna, seaweed salad, avocado, and citrus wasabi aioli. Tuna portion was good and everything worked well together. I would recommend this.


Crabulous had blue crab, avocado, cucumber, pickled shallots, green onions, black sesame, and garlic chips. It was really good and I appreciated the real crab meat was used, but I had issues with the rice to crab ratio, especially after trying the classic, it was just way too much rice.

So little crab...

Overall, I like the fresh ingredients used and I like the service. However I was not impressed with the overall flavor due to the excessive rice usage and the price point being high. Is it worth a try? Definitely.

Free ice cream with Yelp check in!

No comments:

Post a Comment