Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Nozomi - Torrance, CA


College bro was in town for meet up and mentioned wife wanted good sushi. After searching around for a place that wouldn't break a bank with quality food,  I found Nozomi.



I've always found it pain in my butt to look for places in this particularly plaza because the layout just sucks. After 5 minutes walking around, we finally found Nozomi. Since I made a reservation, there was no wait for us, score.


We ordered some side dishes like marinated fresh squids, pork belly skewers, and uni paste (by Maruhide) with chopped raw octopus. All of us got the chef's choice sushi, which is 10 pieces plus negi toro roll for $38 per person.



The squid had a very mild flavor, and I think the selling point was the texture. It wasn't bad but I didn't care for it. The same went with pork belly skewers. The uni paste had a really strong flavor and I couldn't decide if I liked it or not.

Marinated fresh squid

Porkbelly skewers

Uni paste with chopped raw octopus

As for the sushi, as usual, we told the chef we don't like salmon and we got the followings... snapper, yellowtail, blue fin tuna, toro, spanish mackerel, king crab, amber jack, marinated tuna, uni, and salmon roe.


The negi toro roll was enjoyable. I didn't like the toro due to excessive of tendons, but the flavor was excellent. I also didn't enjoy the king crab. It tasted frozen with no flavors. That was a major let down. Amber jack on the other hand was really good. Great tender texture and very good flavor. It was so good I forgot to take a picture.

Snapper

Yellowtail

Blue fin tuna

Toro

Spanish mackerel

King crab, tasted frozen

Marinated tuna

Uni

Salmon roe

Negi toro roll

So much tendons...

Overall their omakase was good for the price. I noticed most other customers ordered cooked food and that made me wonder if I picked a corrected sushi restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment