Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Golden Leaf - San Gabriel, CA


I was in the mood for Taiwanese food and luckily I was in a area filled with Taiwanese restaurants. Golden Leave was one of them and since I haven't tried the food there, time to grab slave girl and go.




Super sad news. I was going to order the vermicelli soup but it was only available after 5pm. That was strange to me because vermicelli is usually a lunch thing and never a dinner thing. Oh well, slave girl ordered pork chop plate, and I got braised pork belly plate and oyster pancake.



Oyster pancake made it to our table first. It wasn't bad but I was definitely not impressed. There wasn't a lot of oysters and I didn't understand how it was made. The green vegetable part and the oyster egg part felt like they were cooked separately then stacked on top of each other. I wasn't a fan of the sauce either. Maybe I was picky but never again.


The pork chop was different compared to the usual Taiwanese pork chop I had. It was not coated with anything but it tasted good. It was too bad they didn't plate their food so it looked less appetizing.


The flavor of the braised pork belly was perfect for me even though slave girl believed it was too salty. My major issue again was the plating. There were juices everywhere (from the server's finger to my finger to the plate and the table as it landed) and the pork belly was cut way too large. I am not saying they should shrink the portion, but cut it smaller for real. The plate looked like a hurricane aftermath and I did not really enjoy what was presented in front of me as a whole.


Service was meh. I had to flag the server for water while the table next to us got automatic refill, but at least they paid attention to us. I don't know. I love Taiwanese food and I couldn't say I loved this place. Vermicelli sounded promising but I wouldn't eat that for dinner. Chances of return is close to zero at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment