Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Grill House - La Verne, CA


It was that time of the month meeting grandma for lunch. I was scratching my head because I ran out of places to try in her hood. That was when I saw The Grill House on Groupon and decided to give it a shot.



It was a rainy Sunday. There wasn't too much customers and we were seated at the inside patio. The heater was on but somehow it never reached to me and slave girl so we were cold through out the entire meal. Thank goodness grandma's side had heat or I would never stop hearing about how I was a bad grandson and trying to give her hypothermia.



The service we received was friendly but just slow. Since we weren't in a hurry, that was totally acceptable. We ordered garlic fries, sambousek, Prince combo for me and slave girl to share, and kafta kabob for grandma. Kafta stands for ground beef I believe.



We got the garlic fries first. It was fried fine but the real issue was the garlic seasoning. There were minced garlic sprinkled over the fries but the fries was not seasoned with garlic flavor at all. If the fries happened to have garlic on it, win. If not, it was just a piece of under seasoned fries.


Sambousek was similar to empanada, a pie pocket filled with ground beef. It wasn't that memorable so you won't be missing out if you didn't order it.



Prince combo included 2 of each kafta, chicken, and beef kabobs, served with rice, grilled vegetables, tahini sauce and garlic aioli. I thought it was a good deal since we got to try all the kabobs they offer. They were not bad but again, far from amazing. One weird thing was they didn't serve pita bread with the kabob dishes while it was a standard thing everywhere else I've been to. No problem though, we asked for it and they brought out to us with no extra charge.



Grandma loved her food because there was rice and kafta was soft enough for her to chew. Yay.



Overall experience was decent. On our way out I saw a couple smoking hookah outside and then realized the reason having outdoor seats. Very interesting concept.

1 comment:

  1. How is it your granny lives out in La Verne? That's my hood and I prefer the uncrowdedness of this area. But my elders all live in the thick of little China (MP/Alhambra), crowds and all. LOL. Anyway, just being nosy. Like your reviews here.

    ReplyDelete