Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Hwang ToKil HTK - Rowland Heights, CA


It has been 3 months from my last visit at Hwang Tokil HTK. Since the first visit was pretty horrible, I almost didn't want to go back but then again, that was 3 months ago so here we were, giving it another shot.




Sweet rice slush and cinnamon slush

During a late lunch on a Sunday, the parking was still pretty much a pain, but we found plenty of parking on the right side of the plaza while others were waiting and blocking at the small lot in front of the restaurant. Seriously, a minute extra walking would still be better than 5 minutes sitting in the car waiting.





We were seated right away and got a pot of hot tea. I really like the decorations of the restaurant. This time we ordered the bulgogi and octopus casserole, galbi, and juicy pork dumplings.


First, we received all the side dishes. There were many to pick from and my favorite was the green veggie. I know, weird... Maybe my body was craving for fiber.


We got galbi next. It was 8 pieces of beef short ribs and it wasn't anything special, kind of like any other Korean short ribs I've had. I understand it could get expensive, but I thought $25.99 for the amount received was a bit much.


The juicy pork dumplings were similar to the Chinese style but sweeter. It wasn't something I am used to but not too bad. I would have to try the bun next time.


The taste of bulgogi and octopus casserole was improved from my last visit. It had a good amount of mushrooms and octopus, and the broth was tasty. Personally I never understand why bulgogi belongs to a stew since all the flavors from marinating would be gone after boiling in the stew. It was still a good dish though for 2-3 people on a cold night.


The most improvement was the service. We were constantly checked to see if we needed anything, and offered more broth for the casserole without us asking. I was impressed on the management team and would recommend to check this place out if you haven't yet.

Happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment