Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Flavors of Thai - Los Angeles, CA (Pico Union)


Work wife and work wife in training were joining me to celebrate a co-worker's birthday. Co-worker was on a diet but opened up for carbs for 2 weeks, and she was craving for Thai food. Since Thai town was a bit far, I found Flavors of Thai for us to try.




Parking was free, but the lot was super busy and space was small. If you can get there by a paid transportation service, that would be the easiest for you. We unfortunately had to drive around the blocks over and over until we found a street parking. No parking at the meters before 12 pm on Thursdays/Fridays didn't help the situation either.


The restaurant had buffet style food but it was not all you can eat. For 1 item it costs $6, and 2 items they charge $8 something. I looked at it and didn't think it was really Thai food. You can be the judge.


After looking through the menu, all four of us decided to share family style. We got glass noodle salad, BBQ squid, pad kee mao (drunken noodles) with pork, crying tiger, and cashew nut garden with chicken. We also substituted the white rice with sticky rice, which cost us 50 cents more.











Sticky rice, came in a plastic bag wrapped in foil

Glass noodle salad actually exceeded my expectations and was very tasty. It came with glass noodles, ground pork, and two shrimps mixing with Thai chili, lime juice, green onions, and red onions. When it comes to salad, it's all about the dressing/sauce. The ratio of the fish sauce, lime juice, and chili mixture were just perfect for this dish and I highly recommend to order this.


BBQ squid was served with spicy lime sauce. It was grilled tender and after dipping in that lime sauce, oh my. It was a little expensive, but the portion was decent. Be warned, the sauce was very spicy.


Drunken noodles was average, kind of like every other drunken noodles out there. However, instead of thin sliced pork, they cut it thicker to give a juicier texture. I was pretty impressed.


Crying tiger made the tiger cry. It was grilled top sirloin with special made chili sauce. The beef was grilled perfectly at medium and it was so tender. I didn't care about the chili sauce since it was already marinated, but God I love me some steaks.


Just when I thought everything was so perfect, I tried cashew chicken. The chicken was kind of dry and the sauce was just not that good compared to everything else we got. Matter of fact, everyone on the table agreed with me. Don't order it.


Overall, it was a pleasant surprise. The service was good and the food was excellent... Except that one dish. I would totally go back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment