Tuesday, October 17, 2017

District - Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)


Slave girl and I were meeting a good friend for lunch, and friend picked this place because it was closer to the bus stop compared to the other option I gave, ha.



District was seriously a pain in the butt to find if you have never been there before. It is located between Flower and Hope at the Macy's. From the street side, go downstairs then turn to your left, you would see a small sign on the side of the restaurant across from the coffee shop.



Now that's out of the way, I made a reservation for lunch and that was the best idea ever since it got packed easily during lunch time. After looking through the menu, we got tamari deviled eggs to share. I ordered house smoked BBQ brisket, slave girl ordered espresso rubbed baby back ribs, and friend got truffle crab salad sandwich.



Deviled eggs were made with cage free eggs and kimchi tomato puree, then finished with a pancetta chip on top. Slave girl was meh about it but I really loved the combination of egg and chip for the texture change.


The baby back ribs were really good. It was well seasoned and the meat just fell off the bone. The plate presentation was also visually pleasant. Overall a very solid dish.


The truffle crab salad sandwich had mozzarella, avocado, pickled fennel, and crab meat packed in between a squid ink roll. Our friend said it tasted fishy but since I didn't try it, it was not confirmed. She didn't like it but she finished it anyway, not sure if she was being Asian or just lazy... lol.


The brisket was God awful. I felt like it was heated up by microwave and came to the table dry. It was so dry to a point I was not able to finish my plate. I asked for the floor manager and told her about my sad cow. She was very nice about it and rushed a half order for me because she didn't want me to leave hungry. The new ones were done perfectly. Moist and tender, I didn't even take a picture before I devoured them. Now, why couldn't they give me something like that on the original plate?


Our dishes came with 2 sides each. Slave girl got the fries and market green salad, and I got mac n'cheese and market vegetable. Fries was good and I also enjoyed the market vegetable.


Overall, I really liked the baby back ribs, but I wasn't impressed with my brisket until they showed me they were capable of making it good. It was too bad I had to complain to get it done right but the service was decent and the floor manager was courteous. I would go back again to try different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment