Thursday, July 13, 2017

Kantaro Sushi - Torrance, CA


Work wife 2 wanted sushi and I recalled this place being famous for their affordable omakase. Without thinking too much, I drove her to the spot. That was when I found out...




Omakase was for dinner only! That was OK because they had price friendly lunch special too. The restaurant was owned by a couple and they were very friendly. The only thing I didn't like was the A.C. being weak so I was kind of sweaty during the entire meal, but that was that.


Dinner omakase, starting $49.00!

We both ordered sashimi lunch since we both just had food somewhere else, but really, we should have ordered one sashimi lunch and one chirashi to compare the difference.


First, we got green tea and pickled vegetables to snack on. I enjoyed the tea a lot and the pickled veggies were nice.

Carrots, radish, and cucumber

The sashimi lunch came with tuna, halibut, shrimp, amber jack, and scallop. It also came with a side salad, rice and miso soup. The best tasting was the scallop. Chef told me it was from Hokkaido. It had great texture and oh that sweet taste... The least desirable was the tuna. It wasn't fishy but it tasted like the piece just got defrosted in the fridge with that watery texture. Not very good.




We also ordered uni and I totally forgot it wasn't uni season, so our uni wasn't very creamy with a trace of bitterness to it.

A la cart menu

Meh

In general I like the restaurant and I love how they just do omakase only for dinner. I will find time for sure to try their omakase one of these nights.


2 comments: