Friday, March 31, 2017

SUGARFISH by sushi nozawa - Los Angeles, CA


During DineLA, I noticed sugarfish was on the list. I also realized even though I have been to the nozawa bar, I have never tried sugarfish. Let's go!

Sushi bar


When I got there around 11, slave girl was already waiting in line and giving me dirty looks due to the restaurant not seating customers until everyone arrived. Good timing on my part since we were next in line.

You no here? Keep on waiting.



After reading through DineLA menu ($20), I found it stupid to not up my game and order Trust Me ($27). For $7 difference, I would have received 3 more pieces of fish and that was a real good value considered dinning at Sugarfish. Trust Me included edamame, tuna sashimi, 2 pieces albacore, 2 pieces salmon, yellowtail, halibut, toro hand roll, and blue crab hand roll.



When I got the edamame, I was already sold on how good my meal would be. The edamame here was boiled with salt water instead of just having salt sprinkled over. Every bite had a good salty flavor but yet not over seasoned.

Edamame

Tuna sashimi tasted like sea candy. No tendons and just melted in my mouth. The light ponzu sauce enhanced the tuna flavor but not overpowering the dish. If you are tuna lover, you would love this one.

Tuna sashimi

The rest of the fishes were also fresh without tendons. Very high quality with good knife work. I also enjoyed the warm rice they used for sushi. It was different than most out there and that's what made Sugarfish unique.

Albacore

Salmon

Yellowtail

Halibut

I've always loved their hand rolls after trying them at their "hand roll only" downtown location. Toro was great, and blue crab was EXCELLENT.

Toro hand roll

Blue crab hand roll

Sugarfish did not disappoint, the only issue was the quantity. Quality here is high but you will be guaranteed to leave here hungry unless you are willing to drop loads and loads of cash. Service was also excellent. They were fast, friendly, and definitely watching your table. Would I go back everyday? Definitely can't afford that, but I would go back for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment