Tuesday, March 21, 2017

No 1 Kazoku - San Gabriel, CA


A friend wanted sushi for dinner. Since we were in San Gabriel and I remember this place being good, I suggested to come here for dinner.

The service was still decent but the food... I was pretty angry with what we got this time.




We ordered fried chicken, sexy geisha roll, fresh water eel sushi, uni sashimi, regular chirashi bowl for friend, premium chirashi bowl for slave girl, and $80 omakase for me.


Fried chicken wasn't crispy but flavor was OK. The roll wasn't bad but spicy tuna overpowered the salmon. Eel sushi was good but it's kind of hard to screw that one up. Uni sashimi was fresh. Slave girl liked the chirashi bowl not coming with a lot of rice, but totally disliked the huge price difference of 12 dollars from a regular bowl for just more tendon filled toros. She didn't even get regular tuna. Premium is not worth the price, just get the regular chirashi if you ever order one.

Sexy geisha roll. Not bad, salmon overpowered by spicy tuna.

Fried chicken, not crispy.

Premium chirashi bowl. Not worth it, get regular.

Deep fried or miso soup style, heads from chirashi bowl. Picked fried this time.

Uni sashimi, very fresh but wish it to be creamier. 

Freshwater eel sushi. Good.

Move on to the omakase. It started with jellyfish, crunchy texture with yuzu flavor. Not bad. The following plate was red snapper, some kinda snapper (I blame the server for not pronouncing it clearly), and uni halibut with way too much wasabi. Especially with the uni halibut, why in the world would you mix uni and wasabi? It was so spicy all I could taste was yuzu and wasabi. I mourned you, uni.

Jellyfish, crunchy. Good.

Uni with halibut, way too much wasabi. Couldn't taste uni, or halibut.

Red snapper, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste.

Some kind of snapper, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste.

Next plate was abalone, clam, and scallop. At this point I noticed there was yuzu on everything and it was overpowering every items I received. I asked the staff to let the chef know and to take it easy on the yuzu.

Abalone, yuzu flavored. Zero shellfish taste.

Scallop, yuzu flavored. Zero shellfish taste.

Clam, yuzu flavored. Zero shellfish taste.

If you see my pictures, you would know my wish was totally ignored and shima aji, yellow tail, and kompachi were soaked in yuzu again... Sigh. I had no idea how the fish tasted due to yuzu sauce.

Shima aji, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste.

Yellowtail, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste.

Kompachi, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste.

Next, the oyster came with two pieces... It was odd because everything was single serving until that point. The oysters were so fishy even uni and salmon roe couldn't mask it. Pretty gross.

Oyster with salmon roe and uni. Super fishy, doesn't taste fresh.

After that, the servers brought out steamed egg and a sushi plate (uni, salmon roe, and uni squid) at the same time. Nice planning guys. The server was nice enough to tell me to eat my sushi first, but he also took the lid off from my egg cup so it was somewhat cold when I got to it. The salmon roe was very sweet, not something I would order again. The other two sushi was OK. The steamed egg had way too many lemon peels.

Uni. This is good.

Uni with squid, yuzu flavored. Zero taste of other kind.

Salmon roe, very sweet. Wouldn't order again.

Steamed egg, too much lemon peels.

I mentioned it to the server at the beginning of the dinner that I don't like salmon but I love tuna. Good thing was I didn't get any salmon in my omakase, but the bad thing was I didn't get much tuna either until the last plate. I received two pieces toro, one seared, one regular. Both pieces were filled with tendons and I was just angry at this point.

Seared toro, lots of tendons. Also, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste.

Toro, lots of tendons, you can even see it in the picture. Also, yuzu flavored. Zero fish taste. Wasted.

I wasn't joking about the tendons. Half of my toro was made of tendons. Also pictured was tons of yuzu I scrapped off my sushi.

I got more disappointed with the green tea ice cream since it tasted anything but green tea. I would say I had a jasmine flavored green dyed ice cream. So not happy.

Jasmine flavored green dyed green tea ice cream that had no green tea taste

It was really strange because the first time I came, it was really good with everything. Maybe it's easier to just order by the board instead of omakase? At this point I doubt if I would ever return again. If I do, no omakase, ever. It was just not pleasant and sorry for all the fish that died that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment