Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Halmoni Grandmas Dukbokki - Los Angeles, CA


Work wife .5 has been talking to me about Korean street food and it really poked my interest on what they are and how they taste. I found this place close to work and decided to check it out.




The first impression of the restaurant was authentic. There were many flies inside and behind the counter was this old Korean lady that handles everything. There were only two small tables to sit on so prepare for take out orders.


I ordered their rice cake stew and black blood sausage.  After I got my food, I realized I made a mistake because the portion of the order was way too huge for one person.



The rice cake stew came with rice cakes, fish cakes and 2 eggs. It also came with a side soup filled with fish cakes. Everything in the stew was swimming in the Korean red sauce which was sweet and spicy, very fulfilling. The side soup was tasty and served as a relief from the spicy stew. There was no nutrition value but enjoyable.




The blood sausage came with blood sausages, boiled liver and intestines. It also came with a small container of salt for dipping since they were not seasoned. I was pretty full after the stew but still tried some anyway. I must say I wasn't a fan... The blood sausage had ok texture due to the glass noodles but it had a very unique after taste that was not pleasant for me. All the boiled items were dry as well.


I brought it back to the office and work wife .5 tried them and told me the taste was right, but some other Korean co-workers told me the blood sausage didn't taste fresh. I tried couple more and decided to dump it. I guess it wasn't for everyone. However, I would go back again for the rice cake stew, that was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment