Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Otomisan Restaurant - Los Angeles, CA (Boyle Heights)


Work bro and I were in the area and debating on having Mexican goat stew or Otomisan for lunch. I remember seeing my friend Charlie's post showcasing their seafood tempura with a softshell crab, and I really wanted to try that so we settled for Otomisan.



Located in Boyle Heights with only street parking available, not a typical place to have a Japanese restaurant. After I walked in, I was stunned by the decorations inside. It totally reminded me of Japan and on top of that, our waitress spoke Japanese to us 90% of the time during our visit. I was ready for some authentic Japanese food.



After looking through the menu, I must say I was disappointed. There was no seafood tempura! Apparently, the seafood tempura took too long to make so they decided to take it off the menu. I am not sure when it happened, but it happened. We were told the combo was good to get, so work bro got the pork cutlet and California roll. I wanted to try the pan fried dumplings, so I got that and pork cutlet from the entrees menu.




The fried dumplings were decent. It was pretty small but fried well that featured crispy bottom with a chewy body. They provided a dipping sauce that contained light soy sauce and chili oil. With 6 pieces per order, it was just enough for two to share.


The pork cutlet was somewhat dry, but they gave us a bottle of pork cutlet sauce to help us swallowing down the meat. I was actually a little disappointed with the size of my pork cutlet since it was exactly the same size as the combo meal. I guess our waitress wasn't joking when she told us we should order the combo.

Free miso soup

Regular order of pork cutlet

Combo meal

Overall experience was just ok. The service was very friendly even though I didn't understand what she was trying to say most of the time. The food was pretty average and nothing special about it. It was just too bad they didn't have seafood tempura anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment