Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Tackle Box Food Truck - Los Angeles, CA (South Park)


Work wife told me she had her eyes on this food truck for quite sometime and on Tuesdays they station their truck at The Reef parking lot instead of some place far far away from work. She got all excited and wanted to try it.



Finding the truck wasn't easy, but finding where to park was even harder. After circling around the block on Broadway and Washington, we finally found street parking. Since it was hot out, we took our food inside The Reef to eat after we ordered. Pro tips: instead of buying a drink at the truck, go inside to the cafe and order real drinks.


The food truck is specialized in southern style deep fried food. After looking through the menu, I got a two way tackle box and a loaded chowder. Not all items had price listed and I was pretty shocked when I found out my total was $20. Woah.



For my two way tackle box, I picked catfish and snapper as my two items, fries as my side. I also received chili lime and tartar sauces for dipping. The food took awhile to come out but it was because they were made to order. The catfish filet was fried well but lacked on seasoning. Dipping sauce was definitely required to add flavors to the fish. Snapper had the same issue. Worse yet, overcooked and rubbery. Fries was decent but garlic bread should just be called bread since there was no garlic in sight.


The loaded chowder was forgotten when my order was ready for pick up. It didn't take long for the chowder to come out though since the chowder was already pre-made. The chowder was extremely thick and salty to a point I didn't think it should be called chowder anymore. There was a good amount of bacon which made the chowder even more salty. Money wasted.


Work crew ordered shrimp tackle box, catfish nugget tackle box, and fried lobster tail. I didn't try the shrimp since co-worker only had 6 pieces. The catfish nugget was pretty much random catfish parts that could be chewy depending on luck. The lobster tail didn't have any flavor once the coating was gone.

Shrimp tackle box

Catfish nugget tackle box

Fried lobster tail

I was going to get bacon hush puppy as my side instead of fries, but I was told they didn't even have them that day. Not sold out, just didn't have it. I wasn't asked what sauces I wanted and got 2 tartar sauce by default. When I tried to get the lady's attention to exchange, maybe the truck was loud inside, but I was ignored. Eventually I got my chili lime. Truly, I was not that impressed with the food or the service. The price point was really high for the quality I received. Good news is I do have my go to place in downtown when I crave for catfish so I don't have to rely on this food truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment