Saturday, November 11, 2017

Pez Cantina - Los Angeles, CA (DTLA)


Slave girl and I were scheduled to go to a nearby modern art museum for a special exhibition, and since we haven't had lunch yet, I thought it would be a good idea before we sunk the next 4 hours inside the museum. Pez Cantina was nearby and it looked nice so we ended up going there for quick munchies.



When we walked in, we saw plenty of open seats inside, but we were told to either sit outside or at the bar. It was pretty warm out so we picked the bar, but I wonder if that was because we were in shorts. I had strong doubts they had that much reservations on a weekday during lunch time. Carry on.



The bartender was friendly and after looking through the menu, slave girl got El Pez pambazo, and I got a shrimp taco and campechana coctele. I also checked out happy hour (3:30-7pm) menu for future reference. There was no difference for the oysters and chips/salsa, for everything else it was slightly cheaper but still on the pricey side. Probably not somewhere to go to get lit.






El Pez pambazo was a griddled Mexican sandwich with catch of the day (yellowtail), cabbage pico de gallo, avacado, and tartar sauce. She picked fries for the side and oh woah, the fries was one of the best fries I've had. Perfectly fried with flavorful seasonings. To be honest, I really didn't expect the fries to be that good especially they didn't say much about it. The fish sandwich itself was decent. Good flavor but slave girl said it was a little fishy for her taste.


Shrimp taco at $6 a piece really caused a small heart attack for me, but I wanted to try it at least once. Well, it was freaking delicious! The salsa was so tasty and it went super well with the shrimp and the slaw. Only if it wasn't six bucks oh my goodness.


Campechana coctele came in red or green sauce. I picked red, and it also had shrimp, octopus, and fish all mixed in with shrimp broth, tomato, avocado, cucumber, scallion, and cilantro. Shrimp was whatever, octopus was good and tender, but the fish left a very bad fishy taste in my mouth even the herbs and tomato couldn't mask it. Errr, what a shame! If you ever order cocktail there, get octopus only or shrimp with octopus. Stay away from campechana.



Overall, it was like a dinning emotional roller coaster. I got excited for some simple things, then brought back down to a disappointment. Service was good but food was really inconsistent. For the amount we paid for our lunch, we expected more. Also, there was a 4% kitchen charge that was not mentioned until time to get our check. I didn't know I was responsible to keep the kitchen running by paying extra... What the hell?! I was glad to try the place but probably won't be back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment