Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Wat Thai Temple - Los Angeles, CA (North Hollywood)


Ever since I saw the video from Eater LA about this street Thai food affair, I have been bugging slave girl to try it with me. Many Sundays later, I finally secured a time slot for us to come out and try!



Since the food vendors only came out on weekends, everyone and their moms were out here for some cheap eats. Parking was a nightmare and people were rude as hell. If I was told this is how Thailand works, I would believe it.


After we parked, I rushed to the first vendor and ready to empty my wallet. Oh no, I was told I needed to get tokens... What was this chuck e cheese nonsense...? Fine. The booth in the center of the lot was where we exchanged cash for tokens. It came with either $1 or $2 per token value. Since most stuff were around $2-$6, $10 worth of tokens should be enough for one adult.




Apparently, the vendors were on a rotating system. Whom you like that day may not be there the next time you visit. The food was pretty mediocre across the board. One of our friends got the boat noodles and it was definitely not boat noodles. It had a weird taste to it and seriously lacked on flavors.



Some kind of rice made wrap with nuts inside


Curry chicken rice

Creepe

Rice crispy treat

The sausage was northern Thai style according to friend. It had a sour taste to it and not something I enjoyed too much. I also got ground pork lard and it didn't even come with rice... Errr, it's like having taco without the tortilla... and of course rice can be purchased at additional cost.







Pork lards, no rice with this...

The best thing we got there was fried mussel pancake. It was seasoned well and not soggy at all. The only problem was the dish serving cold. They pre made the pancake and it had been sitting on the table waiting for sucker like me to pick it up. If I speak Thai I might be able to get one freshly made, but since I don't, all I got was take it or leave it. Lolololol.


See the left of the picture with the 2 white boxes on the shelf? That was my fried mussel pancake waving :(


Fried mussel pancake

All seats were outdoor on first come first serve base and there was a live band performing. Unfortunately, the temple was closed for a private event so I couldn't even go inside to pay my respects to the holy world. That was a let down.





Overall I would recommend to go only for the experience. Hopefully you will find something you like there.



Papaya salad

Satay chicken


2 comments:

  1. The uncomplicated procedure is the thing that makes the strategy appealing to customers having a place with various classes. lesvos gyros

    ReplyDelete