Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Mar Vista - Los Angeles, CA


Friends wanted to do an all girl Sunday brunch with slave girl and I was added to the brunch list at last minute. Yeah yeah I know the girls love to see me because how could they say no to fatty?


Bar area



We had a reservation but our party was running late. The restaurant was very nice about it. They seated us and took our drink orders while waiting. During the entire meal, different servers would come by our table to check on us. Excellent service for sure.

Oyster station

Men's room art

More men's room art

The restaurant itself was decorated well. Every corner had something to see, even in the restroom. They had live music going, a painter just minding her own business, and some other activities. I probably wouldn't recommend here if you plan to catch up with your friends since the live music was super loud. However, it is a great spot to just sit and chill.

So lively!


So soothing...

The menu wasn't overwhelming but definitely had more alcohol selections compared to food. I decided on New Zealand rock code ceviche and shrimp and grits, slave girl got guajillo pork chilaquiles.



The rock cod ceviche came with coconut, cucumber, and cilantro. It was supposed to come with banana chips, but instead, I got the tortilla chips. After my inquiry, I was told they didn't make banana chips that morning. Somehow no one bothered to mention it to me and I had to find out myself. The cod tasted fishy and I didn't think it was pre marinated either. It was like fast food poke but with very watery sauce. The flavor was weak and wouldn't order it again.



My shrimp and grits was from hell. It was in air conditioned room temperature when I got it and who knows how long it was sitting on the counter. The grits had same texture as cold oatmeal and I was able to lift the whole thing in one piece like a rice crispy treat. Flavor was average and for the price I paid, 3 shrimps on the plate was not worth the $16.


The chilaquiles was bland and it didn't really work well together as a dish. I truly believe the mole was what screwed up the taste for me.


Overall I enjoyed the service and ambiance, but I couldn't really recommend any dishes based on what I had. Maybe I ordered the wrong things? Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment