Wednesday, January 17, 2018

RAKKAN Ramen - Los Angeles, CA (Little Tokyo)


Work bro told me about his new ramen discovery called Rakkan in Little Tokyo and he was pretty happy about what he had. I know we have similar taste buds so I dragged slave girl one day to check this place out.


Full house during lunch time


The restaurant was pretty small with an open kitchen. While I was waiting for our seats, I was able to see the pork being grilled in front of me. The restaurant was very proud of having the umami taste without using MSG, and they wanted you to know about it on the wall poster and in the menu.



Since I love to try everything and order like it's my last meal all the time, I got miso ramen and deep fried pork dumplings. Slave girl got the chicken ramen combo with crispy chicken bowl.




The deep fried pork dumplings came with house salsa. It was interesting but unnecessary. The dumpling itself was pretty tasty already and I felt the salsa actually downgraded the taste.


The crispy chicken bowl was perfect. Chicken was tender and juicy. With a dash of lemon juice and mayo, they went well together with rice. Crispy chicken also could be ordered as appetizer, but I wasn't too sure how many pieces it came with. If it was the same size as the bowl, get the bowl as combo for sure.


As for the ramen, they were both good in flavors. They were different than your typical pork bone broth and had a refreshing taste to it. The only thing I didn't like was the portion of the meat. A single slice of pork or chicken was just not enough. The egg was cooked well. We tried the spicy sauce on the table and oh man, that sauce definitely packed a punch.

Miso ramen, tasty pork and broth

Chicken ramen, not bad but won't order again

Overall it was a very good experience. The food were better than average and the service was decent. Yelp check in got us free drinks and their iced green tea was good. I would come back for lunch again for sure.

1 comment: